We take your privacy very seriously, and do our best to make sure your data is kept safe, here’s a brief summary:
- What – We may collect personal information such as your name, email address, IP address, phone numbers, date of birth, We don’t collect anything sensitive, or any information we don’t need.
- When – We collect information from emails you send us, forms you fill in, online forms you complete, email of Club news (Word Press) as well as background processing information from web use such as Google Analytics.
- Why – We use the information to process your membership of the Club and in the general running the Club and keep you informed about the Club.
- Who – We don’t share or sell your information with third-parties, with the exception of the British Mountaineering Council and Parthian Climbing, who provide us with specific services, such as email of Club news, insurance, accounting or IT/Web services and climbing discounts. We require those third-parties to protect your data as carefully as we do.
- Where – Data is generally held within the UK, with the exception of data for Mailchimp which is held outside the EEA
- Access – If you need to see or update the information we hold on you, we’ll be pleased to help.
- How Long – We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
WHO WE ARE
Our designated Data Protection Officer is the Secretary, whose details are found on the website.
It is very important that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Please let us know if at any time your personal information changes by Using the contact details below.
WHAT DATA DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
Collecting specific, relevant personal information is a necessary part of us being able to provide you with any services you may request from us or in providing services to our customers and members or just managing our relationship with you.
- Personal Contact details that allow us to contact you directly such as first name, last name, title, home address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Family members connected to your membership.
- Transaction details may include details about payments between us and other details of purchases made by you.
- Payment details may include your bank account and sort code
- Technical data from use of our website; may include your login data, internet protocol addresses, browser type and version, browser plug-in types and versions, time zone setting and location, operating system and platform.
- Profile data may include your username and password, purchases or orders, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
We do not collect any Sensitive Data about you. Sensitive data refers to data that includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We collect data about you through a variety of different methods including:
- Direct interactions: You may provide data by filling in forms (or otherwise) or by communicating with us by post, phone, email or otherwise, including when you:
- apply for membership of the Club;
- complete an online form on our website
- become a supplier of products, services otherwise to the Club;
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
As a data subject you are not obliged to share your personal data with the Club. If you choose not to share your personal data with us, we may not be able to process your request for any of the purposes we require your data for.
We will only use your personal data when legally permitted. The most common uses of your personal data are:
- Where we need to perform a contract between us.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
- to protect life
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal ground for processing your personal data.
Purposes for processing your personal data
Set out below is a description of the ways we intend to use your personal data and the legal grounds on which we will process such data.
|Purpose/Activity||Type of data||Lawful basis for processing|
|To be able to administer your membership, and provide the membership services you are signing up to when you become a member of the club.||All contact and membership details, transaction and payment information, records of your interactions with us.||This is necessary to enable us to properly manage and administer your membership contract with us.|
|To send you information which is included within your membership, including details about promotions, newsletters, events and other appropriate information relevant to your membership||All contact and membership details||Necessary to administer your membership contract with us|
|To deliver relevant website content to members and use data analysis to improve our website||Technical and profile data||Necessary to administer your membership contract with us|
|To provide as part of your membership relevant insurance cover for the activities and events you take part in||Contact and membership details||Necessary to administer your membership contract with us|
WHO DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL DATA WITH?
We do not normally disclosed or share personal data with any third party without your prior consent, other than for the purposes specified in this notice or where there is a legal requirement.
We may have to share your personal data with the parties set out below for the purposes set out in the table above:
- Professional advisers including lawyers, bankers, accountants, auditors and insurers who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services.
As an affiliated club of the British Mountaineering Council (BMC) we will provide them with personal information about our members for the purposes of registering you for insurance and other member benefits. By storing and using this personal data, BMC become joint controllers of this personal data. We have a responsibility to provide you our members with both our and the BMC privacy notices.
Further information on BMC and Parthian Climbing Privacy policies is available below
Where possible data will remain on servers within the European Economic Area (EEA), however, we may store data on servers outside of the EEA when there is no other suitable alternative.
When we store data in non-EEA counties we ensure there are adequate safeguards including a 3rd party data agreement with sufficient data protection clauses.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
When we process children’s personal information, where required we will not do so without their consent or, where required, the consent of a parent/ guardian. We will always have in place appropriate safeguards to ensure that children’s personal information is handled with due care.
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data. These include the right to:
- Request access to your personal data.
- Request correction of your personal data.
- Request erasure of your personal data.
- Object to processing of your personal data.
- Request restriction of processing your personal data.
- Request transfer of your personal data.
- Right to withdraw consent.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us using the details in the ‘Contact’ section below.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights).
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
We will respond to all legitimate requests within one month.
Our website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
We may collect information about your computer, including (where available) your IP address, operating system and browser type. This data is used to help improve your experience with our online communications.
If you have any questions about data protection and the The Climbing Clan, please get in touch. The Climbing Clan’s data protection officer is the Club’s Honorary Secretary:
Email: [email protected]
British Mountaineering Council: thebmc.co.uk/privacy
MAKING A COMPLAINT
0303 123 1113.
Information Commissioner’s Office