After a year full of climbs, caves, cakes, sends & fails, trips around the best crags & caves in the UK (and abroad), high emotions and cheerful moments, everyone must feel quite hungry!
So let's gather together and enjoy a festive dinner at Abel Heywood in the Northen Quarter! This is a brilliant place to celebrate Christmas, with a good choice of drinks on top of the food.
The menu looks great and will satisfy everyone's dietary requirements. The pub is in the Northern Quarter, easily accessible by different means or close to Manchester City Centre if you're in for a jolly afternoon there.
Some of us will go around the Christmas market before the dinner to do things such as ice skating, strolling around the market and looking for the traditional hot chocolate there. This is a separate event to be found in The Social Clan Facebook group.
- Good Time with Christmas Crackers.
What's on the menu?
- Roasted Root Vegetable Soup (vv) Herb croutons
- Maple Glazed Ham Hock Terrine Apple, date & tamarind chutney
- Prawn & Avocado Cocktail Baby gem, samphire & Bloody Mary sauce
- Whipped Goat’s Cheese & Onion Bon Bons (v) Beetroot & spinach purée, rocket, balsamic & olive oil dressing
- Buttered Roasted Turkey Sausage meat stuffing with bacon, pig in blanket and traditional vegetables
- Maple Roasted Carrot & Caramelised Leek Strudel (vv) Squash purée, crispy kale and roast potatoes
- Slow Braised Beef with Red Wine and Pancetta; Truffle mash and confit carrots
- Duo of Fish - Panko Crusted Sea Bass and Pan Fried Salmon; Pressed potato cake, stem broccoli and lobster bisque
- Traditional Christmas Pudding Brandy sauce (Vegan option available on request)
- Passion Fruit Torte (v) Thick cream and fruit compote
- Chocolate & Orange Style Cheesecake (vv) Vanilla ice cream and fruit compote
- Vanilla Crème Brûlée (v) Cinnamon sugar glaze and shortbread biscuits
What's the dress code?
Christmas themed clothes are encouraged, but really there isn't any requirements.
It's Manchester in winter though, so avoid flip flops, shorts and miniskirts.
I have unusual dietary requirements - will I be catered for?
Omnivores, Vegans and Gluten Free etc will be catered for.
As this is an external catering provider, we expect to be able to cater for most dietary requirements.
After you signup, you'll be able to give your dietary requirements and make menu choices.
If you have specific questions about diet, please drop The Climbing Clan a message on Facebook and we'll get back to you.
What's the best way to get there?
If you take public Transport:
The venue is very close to Shudehill Bus / Tram Station. Alternatively, Piccadilly Gardens transport hub is within 10 mins walk as well. Piccadilly Station and Victoria Station are a bit further away but not tremendously far either.
If you drive:
Parking in Manchester City Centre is notoriously tough, especially on a December Weekend. That said, Northern Quarter Car Park is right next to the venue. You can also park cheaply on Park Street, and you may also find parking in the Arndale Multistory carpark.
I signed up, and now can't make it.
It'd be ideal if this didn't happen. The social team is doing their best to provide a good time for everyone, and not showing up or cancelling at short notice means that someone else has missed out on an opportunity here.
However these things do happen and the standard Cancellation Policy applies, and the key thing to take away is to let us know ASAP.